Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Going to Miss Everyone

Hello Everyone. I have not posted in a long time. I've been to many places and I have done a lot of things. Two weekends ago our group went to the She Minority Village atop a mountain outside of Guangzhou. We were split into small groups with a mission to help the children with they're English. This was the first time I acted as a 中文老师 (Chinese teacher). It was really fun. They helped improve my Chinese just as much as I helped they're English. The kids were...overwelcoming. They saw me as a 力山 (a powerful mountain). They tried to tear me down. It was fine though. I am still living. 

On that Tuesday my Level 2 class went to my teacher's house to make 饺子 (dumplings). We made pork dumplings and egg and vegetable dumplings. I am an expert dumpling maker now for those that would like a Chinese treat every now and then. 

The next day we took a trip to Shenzhen, home to Tencent Inc. and many beautiful Asian girls. Shenzhen is a very large city of 12 million people. Tencent the fourth largest internet based company in the world only under Google, Amazon, and eBay. Tencent is the maker of WeChat which has over 200 million users across the global, most of them located in China. Going to Tencent was very fun because it showed me that technology certainly has a bright future. 

On Friday night, I went to KTV (karaoke) for the first time in my life. It was an amazing experience. The most memorable moment was when Jeremy and I stood hip to hip, my arm atop his shoulder, sing "The Circle of Life" from Lion King. That is one of his favorite songs. 

Unfortunately, we had class on Saturday because we missed class on Wednesday and Thursday. On Sunday, I went to 佛山 (Foshan) to visit my host uncles, aunts, and cousin Andy. Andy was a really cool guy. He spent a semester in Seattle through an exchange program so he was very "hip" and into American culture. He loves rap and Eminem. When I told him I was a rapper, he did not believe me because I talked too proper and I did not wear a gold chain and Jordans. That is definitely a global stereotype for a rapper. Andy will attend the University of Iowa next year; I wish him the best of luck. 

On Monday, I starred as 白雪公主 (Snow White) in the Chinese version of the story. After the play, I received my first Oscar. It was quite humbling. 
The rest of this week is preparation for the final exam and the closing ceremony. In the closing ceremony, I will not be performing as 白雪公主, but I will be dancing to the top Chinese song 小苹果 (xiao ping guo or small apple). I will also "shake" the kong zhu (Chinese yoyo) with my friend Dylan.

I will be home soon. Never rushing the experience. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment